Saturday 24 November 2018

Wednesday, 4th July, 1838

I did something today that I have long meant to do and took myself down to Light's Cottage. Before we came here to South Australia I counted him a friend, and did so still for much of last year. But politics and misunderstandings led to us breaking that friendship asunder - that and the way Light is a stubborn goat with a prickly temper made even worse by his bad health. 

But I leave the Province soon and it would be a regret that lay heavy on me if I did not at least attempt to shake his hand and part - if not friends again, then at least not enemies. 

I walked down North Terrace and knocked on his door, which was opened by Light's housekeeper, Miss Gandy. I explained that I was here on a social call and asked if the Colonel was at home to guests?

Miss Gandy came out of the cottage and shut the door behind her, I guess so that Light would not hear.

"He had a bad night last night and is in a bad way this morning," she said. "Coughing all night with no sleep." 

I suspect that Miss Gandy is more nurse than housekeeper these days, but said nothing. Instead, I asked: "Do you think he will see me?"

She gave a quiet laugh and reassured me. "Leave it to me," she said and went back inside the cottage. "You have a visitor," I heard her say.

There came a low mumble that was clearly Light's voice.

"Well, you'll see this one," said Miss Gandy. "It's the Governor come to visit."

I heard yet more low grumbling and could pick out the words "confound him" and "damned impudence" which, as welcomes go, seemed unpromising.

I heard Miss Gandy say: "You're being foolish. Tidy yourself up and I'll let him in."

There was more grumbling, and then Miss Gandy scolded: "And don't take that tone with me!"

The door opened and Miss Gandy showed me into the room. The Colonel was propped up on a day bed. He looked at me.

"You, eh?"

"Yes... me," I said, which seemed to be stating the obvious.

He grunted.

"I suppose you intend to stay, do you? Then you'd best get a seat."

Miss Gandy appeared with a chair and, as she put it down, whispered to Light, "Behave!"

Light grunted again.

"And what brings you here? I didn't expect you to come near me."

I smiled a little. "You know we have been friends," I said. "I could hardly allow myself to return to England without at least saying goodbye."

Light looked at me quizzically.

"Do you know what Fisher has never understood about you? That underneath your bluff and bluster you are, in fact, a big, soft sentimentalist!"

I chuckled lightly and we sat in  silence for a time. Finally the Colonel spoke.

"How many sea battles have you seen in your time?"

I thought for a moment.

"Six?" I said, doubtfully. "Seven? Yes, seven."

"You have a charmed life. Many don't even survive one and here you are having lived through seven without a scratch."

"I lost an eye," I said

"Oh, an eye! That hardly counts." His voice dropped and he seemed to become maudlin. "You were alive at the end of it. And here you are again, heading back to London and alive at the end of it again. Getting out alive - rather more than I'll manage to do."

I was surprised. This was a bit morbid for my taste.

"Oh, buck up Man!" I said.

"Buck up be damned! It's consumption. Slower, but just as certain as that warrant you signed for McGee. I give myself a year or two and you'll be reading my obituary." 

Miss Gandy called from the other room. "The Governor didn't come here to listen to you being downhearted! Smarten your ideas up and try being pleasant!"

The Colonel pulled a face at me. "She's a terror to have in the house. She bosses me about from morning till night!"

Miss Gandy entered the room with a teapot and two cups on a tray.

"Well, somebody needs to, you old misery," she said. "If you don't brighten up I might just put a pillow over your face while you sleep and have done with you."

For the first time Light smiled. I judged it a good moment to produce a small parcel from my coat pocket.

"I went up to Lee's this morning. They have excellent caraway seed cake."

Light smiled once more.

"Well done John," he said, "You remember I do like caraway cake."

And so we sat for a time drinking tea and eating cake until Light suddenly said: "Well tea and cake is all very well, but it's not enough for such as you and me! Mariah! Fetch in that bottle of brandy on the dresser."

I do not usually imbibe, but as this seemed a special occasion I took a glass with him.

"It was a mistake, my coming out here," Light said. "I thought it would lead to something better, but no. They'll bury me and forget me."

I smiled. "Well, at least they didn't boot you back to London."

"Oh, you'll be fine. They'll find something else for you."

And then we sat talking, spending a pleasant hour or two before the Colonel showed signs of tiring. I said my farewells to Light and Miss Gandy and then was surprised when Light got slowly to his feet and walked with me to the door. He stood for a moment, looking out at North Terrace.

"What do you think, John? Did we do a good job of setting this place going?"

I was not certain how he would take it, but I could not resist the temptation to tease him.

"Well," I said. "I think I did pretty well."

He frowned and gave me a look.

"You? And what about me?"

I patted him on the arm and said, quietly: "Too many straight lines."

For a moment I thought he would be angry, but instead, he roared with laughter. He slapped me on the shoulder and then leaned in with a secretive air.

"Between you and me Jacky," he said, "sometimes I think that too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment