Sunday 18 November 2018

Wednesday, 27th June, 1838

I find it difficult to describe in words the unalloyed glee I feel when I think of the decision I have made with regard to the Acting Governorship.

Of course, what is needed is someone level headed, sensible, experienced and capable of working effectively with a variety of people. Light would be the obvious choice, I suppose, though in his state of health I doubt that he would accept.

I have decided, however, to promote the cause of none other than - and I cannot help but grin as I write this - our Advocate General, George Milner Stephen. A perfectly proper choice, since Fisher's refusal to attend regular Council meetings and my departure leaves the Advocate General as the senior Council member.

Some might object, saying that he is completely unqualified for the position, temperamentally unsuited for the position, utterly inexperienced and a nincompoop into the bargain.

And, by Heaven, they would be right!

But what makes him entirely unsuitable as a choice makes him uniquely placed to be the perfect farewell gift from me to Fisher, Mann and Brown. I foresee that he will make their lives a living Hell and within a fortnight they will rue the day they decided to remove yours truly from office!

Of course, he will only be in the position for two or three months and can hardly manage to do lasting damage to the Colony, but the havoc I predict he will wreak amongst the Company Men in that short time will be sweet to see. I have said before that a little of Milner Stephen goes a long way. Let them experience just how little and how far!

I shall have him gift wrapped!


(Undated Marginal note)

Light is not taking the news from London well. Like Widow Harvey's baby, he has spat out the rusk and his bottom lip has dropped. I expect a tantrum of awesome magnitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment