Monday 19 November 2018

Thursday, 28th June, 1838


It has been decided that the Marines will return, with me, on board the Alligator to London.

That this will, unfortunately, leave the Colony undefended against invaders, native 
uprisings, revolutionary insurgents and all sorts of naughtiness is an unfortunate side-effect, but cannot be helped. Perhaps once people realise this they will thank me for pushing forward plans for the Police Force that, according to Mr Fisher, I did so much to delay. 

If it was left to Fisher there would be no defence of the Colony at all and if a French ship sailed up the Gulph they would be met with a disorganised rabble, wielding pitchforks and throwing rocks.

I say "the Marines". In fact, all but one of the Marines. This Saturday, Marine Joe Davis will marry Miss Keziah Teakle, daughter of Alexander, a Stonemason, and Anne and will be staying on in the Province as a family man. He will need to smarten up his ideas and his ways, I think, as a married man, but at heart he is a good 'un and I expect he will do well.

(Further Undated Note)

Today I proclaimed the Ports of Victor Harbor and Kingscote. Not that I think them worth a pinch of spit as Harbours, but it will benefit the people who need to land goods at these places.

(Additional Undated Note)

I knew it was coming. Light is packing up his sextant and going home. He has announced that he will resign as Surveyor General rather than accede to the Commissioner's conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment