Wednesday 28 November 2018

Three Undated Entries from Hindmarsh's DIary

First Undated Note

Charlie Howard came to see me today to tell me what he clearly believes I will find exciting news.

In honour of my departure, Charlie intends to preach a special sermon on the Sunday before I sail and wanted to know what sermon I would like him to preach.

Now, the correct answer to the question "What would you like Charles Beaumont Howard to preach?" is "No sermon at all" and I was as near as damn it to telling him so, when Mrs Howard, realising my intent, gave me a look of such intensity that the varnish on the sideboard behind me began to blister and bubble. 

Instead, I asked for "no fuss to be made" and asked him to preach "something short and simple".

I hold out little hope.


Second Undated Note

Johnny writes from Hobart Town to tell us that he has a good chance of being appointed a surveyor in Van Diemen's Land.

I was unaware that Johnny had any interest or aptitude for surveying and has never shown skill or talent in that area. But then, it is generally agreed that Durward Kingston has no skill or talent in anything at all and he is currently Surveyor General. So it may be that having no aptitude is a prerequisite for the job.


Third Undated Note

There is a strong rumour that many of the colonists are working hard to prepare a spontaneous outpouring of respect and gratitude in the form of an address to be given to me by a deputation.

I suppose that I will need to spend time preparing a heartfelt, off the cuff response expressing my overwhelming surprise and thanks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment