Sunday 5 May 2013

Wednesday, 12th October, - Saturday,12th November, 1836



Editor's Note: On 12th October the Buffalo made sail and left Rio for South Australia. During the period between 12th October and 4th November, life on board the Buffalo settled back in to the routine of shipboard life after the excitement of Rio de Janeiro.

The donkeys were on board. but needed to be housed in the ship's boat. Despite Hindmarsh's reluctance to allow Mrs Hindmarsh her donkeys, he seems to have acquired a number of hogs (" at a bargain rate", he records) and guinea fowl for himself that needed to be put in with the other poultry he had on board.

To the ship's stores were also added a variety of plants including banana trees, pine trees and cactus plants. Hindmarsh comments that "these plants will make a Bligh of me yet."


With the additional plants and animals needing extra water, it became necessary to place the passengers and emigrants on short water rations, something that was adversely commented on by many. Also commented on was the Governor's decision to restrict water for passenger's pets while keeping his own dogs and "Tinkles" (Mrs Hindmarsh's adopted cat) on full allowance.


During this period Hindmarsh's diary is essentially just a humdrum log, but here and there he comments on shipboard life.

After Rio there were adjustments to be made:



13th October: Crew not at their best, I fear. Many "ill" after constant intemperance at Rio. Headaches, lethargy and billiosness abound. Hard pressed to get any of them aloft and was told by one AB (young Mr Grabb) to "for God's sake keep it down a bit" when I was shouting orders to the men. Much confusion, I am sad to say.

My sister Anne, who seems to gave spent most of her time in Rio in the company of a stableboy called Pedro - teaching him English, she assures me - says she is "missing him terribly", but is bravely carrying on by  taking the crew midnight snacks and cups of tea to buck them up. At least, I imagine that is what she is doing. I can think of no other reason why she might be making her way to the crew's quarters so late at night.

Shocked to say that Brazilian sauerkraut is even worse than English.





Reverend Howard was upset:


23rd October: A weather change during Divine Service meant that I had to absent myself to set sail. Furled royals, tightened sail and took in reefs. Of course all this makes a bit of noise and Charlie Howard was interrupted just as he was launching into the second hour of his sermon on 2 Chronicles 18:23 Then Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah came near, and smote Micaiah upon the cheek, and said, Which way went the Spirit of the LORD from me to speak unto thee?. Apparently lost his train of thought and was unable to continue. I need hardly add that I was the villain, even though I would have thought that stopping his Reverence in his tracks might have been cause for thanks.


There was dancing in the evenings:


26th October: At first the sight of the passengers on deck trying to stay upright in swelling seas while dancing a quadrille or a country dance was amusing, But after three or four months the novelty decreases and even a Mad Robin in heavy seas grows tiresome.


However, whilst in Rio Mrs Fisher acquired one of the local dancer's costumes. She claims to have "Just found it on a street stall" but I think if the thing fits Mrs Fisher's ample frame, than advanced tailoring was involved.


As that may be, each evening she has been giving us her own uniquely disturbing interpretation of Portuguese and Brazilian folk dances. And she sings. Dear God, how she sings! At first I thought the donkeys had met with some injury. The song that begins "Aye aye aye aye aye, I like you very much!" is of particular horror.

One of the more pious emigrants approached Charlie Howard to ask about an exorcism "for that poor woman with the unnatural dancing".

Mrs Hindmarsh annoyed one of the emigrants.

10th November: My wife has managed to be truly insensitive, something which comes as no surprise to me, but has left the emigrants dumbfounded.

Mr Pyke, a baker, is a quiet and respectful man and on the few occasions I have spoke to him he has given me the proper and due deference one expects from the lower classes.

His wife is currently with child and is not a little uncomfortable on board the ship.

My wife went to pay her a visit last Sunday and, as is her way, promised her every consideration and nicety during the remainder of her time.

And, as is her way, Mrs Hindmarsh immediately forgot all about this as soon as she left the Pyke's quarters. Consequently this morning, when the Pykes approached her and asked if she had given further thought to what she might do for them, my wife told them she had no knowledge of what they spoke.

"I am sure that if I had promised you anything I would at least remember your names," she said, to the astonishment of the Pykes and all who heard her. She then continued, in her usual, tactful way, "If you feel you deserve special attention, then perhaps it would have been best not to board the ship in your condition."

Quite the wrong thing to say as Mrs Pyke was not in her condition when she boarded ship.

Once again, I am the villain in the piece and I have had nothing but sour looks from the passengers and emigrants.


By the 4th November the Buffalo had sailed over 10,000 miles from England

No comments:

Post a Comment