Sunday 19 May 2013

Friday 9th December, 1836

Chanced my arm today in a gamble that didn't pay off.

Had a meeting (yet another!) with Stevenson and Fisher with regard to the site of capital of the new colony.

Mrs Hindmarsh has made it clear that she expects the Capital to be in a location that she approves of. Somewhere nice, she says. Not too hilly, on a slope, but with flat ground for the convenience of the building.  Near the sea, with a lovely view of a riverside, not too far from the hills. Weather must be fine, but not hot, with enough rain to allow her to grow primulas and hollyhocks.

Unfortunately according to the instructions given to me in England I have very little say in the matter, the Commissioners having given the decision as to site of the Capital to the Surveyor General. Mrs Hindmarsh has, I am afraid, little appreciation of these niceties and is insistent on me ensuring that the Capital is located somewhere that meets her needs and her approval. If it is not then I see dark days ahead.

Which of course placed me in a devil of a position. I must rely on the good sense of Light to keep Mrs Hindmarsh happy. My opinion of Light's good sense is not high. And I think it is no secret how successful he was at keeping his own wife happy. At least it became public knowledge when she ran off and left him. So I am not sanguine about my chances of Mrs Hindmarsh being pleased with whatever choice he makes.

There was only one thing I could do, I am afraid. I needed to grasp the nettle and make sure that the responsibility for the site of the Capital lay with me. I thought I'd convinced Scoop Stevenson that I'm in charge and I was betting on Fisher being too busy fathering children to have read the document.

So when the topic came up this morning I stated, as confidently as I could, that the decision was mine and I would be making it based on Light's advice.

Damnation! Stevenson turned around and said that I had deceived him and Mr Fisher had shown him the true situation and he now knew that the decision was Light's and Light's alone.

Oh buggery, bums and aresholes! Now what am I going to do? I suppose I'll have to rely on Light coming through with the goods, but I don't like my chances.

I did try and act tough and tell them that I didn't give a flying continental about the instructions and that I'd do as I damned well pleased, but I know it's a hollow claim. If Light decides to put the capital on top of a pole in the middle of a swamp then in the end I have to go along with him.

Oh, what will Mrs Hindmarsh say?

And, to top it off, there was sauerkraut served with dinner. Heaven above, I loathe and detest that filthy muck!

No comments:

Post a Comment