Monday 6 May 2013

Sunday, 13th November, 1836

No divine service today as a result of a slight faux pas on my part. Last night the weather was not good and the thought of sitting in the rain listening to an hour or so of that dull arse Charlie Howard explicating the finer points of 2 Thessalonians 2:11  And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. (as he informed me beforehand he proposed to do) was too much for me and I issued an order that Divine Service be postponed on account of inclement weather.

Came the dawn and a brighter day never shone from Heaven, damn it! Howard was overjoyed and came and saw me to give me the good news that Divine Service might go ahead.

It might, but I decided that it wouldn't as the weather might change in an instant. Truth to tell the barometer was rock steady, but I just couldn't face the whole dreary business.

Had the pleasure of the company of the Captain of the whaling ship "Woodlark". His ship left Rio ten days after we did and has overtaken us in good time. A good whaling ship running before a strong wind is a damn fine thing, while the poor Buffalo is a much more sedate old girl.



The Captain brought a letter from Sir Graham Eden Hammond. He tells me that Miss Leopoldina Concepcion Iphigenia Branquinho has agreed to work as an agent of His Majesty's government and work against the old enemy. Placed as she is within the inner circle of Emperor Louis Philippe she will be a most valuable asset.

It seems that what convinced her to work for our own government was Eden Hammond's offer to place her on board the Woodlark and allow her to come and pay her respects to Mrs Hindmarsh. At the mention of my wife Miss Branquinho signed on the dotted line so fast that Hammond nearly lost a limb.

I am pleased that my wife has proven to be of value to her government and her country, even if only as a terrifying threat.


No comments:

Post a Comment