Saturday 20 April 2013

Sunday 24th July 1836

A miserable day. No sign of Jeffcott.

Rained and blew all morning, meaning that we were all stuck indoors. Much yelling and screaming from the Fisher cabins, where they all seem to be under each other's feet. Can't help feeling we are partly to blame.


Rain ceased in afternoon, but winds kept up a treat.


Bad weather and ship's business meant that Divine Service was unable to be held, which put the ship's chaplain, The Reverend Mr Howard into a sulk.


Sauerkraut served with dinner this evening, as it has been for the past three days. I know it prevents the scurvy, but I loathe it with a passion. Salty, slimy sauerkraut! Spare me!


Just after Mrs Hindmarsh and I had retired for the evening, we were disturbed by the sound of the Emigrants singing psalms and hymns. Dear me - piety is all very well, but there's a time and a place...


Fortunately, Charlie Howard, never one to let an opportunity pass, decided that the people needed him and hurried down to\deliver a sermon of extraordinary dullness on Zephaniah 2:8: "I have heard the reproach of Moab, and the revilings of the children of Ammon, whereby they have reproached my people, and magnified themselves against their border." with the result that all were soon asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment