Sunday 21 April 2013

6th - 20th September 1836

Editors Note: After the adventure of the dog overboard the Buffalo sailed on towards the Equator. Hindmarsh's diary is filled with nautical records of winds, ship speeds, and navigational calculations. There are a few notes of interest.

8th September


More complaints from the emigrants. The cook, on my orders, has replaced cups of tea with cocoa and the lower classes are dissatisfied. I have explained to them that leaf tea was running short and that, naturally, the passengers of the better sort could not be expected to do without. This explanation seemed to satisfy them as they clearly know their place and may even take solace in the knowledge that their doing without will make the lives of their betters more comfortable,


10th September


I have more complaints from the whining emigrants. Apparently, because I have allowed my dogs the freedom of the ship, one or two ( or perhaps more) of the lower classes have received playful nips, especially from the wolf hounds and the otter hounds, and have found their clothing and shoes soiled with dog dirt. The better sort of passengers were complaining that their dogs must remain cooped up while my dogs are free to roam.


To the emigrants I replied that any nips and bites they received were not given in malice or in anger and so not to worry. As for the dog dirt I asked them to simply watch where they were treading. "Besides." I said, "as members of the lower classes I do not doubt that a bit of dirt and filth will make you feel at home."


To the better class of passenger I replied that if all the dogs were let out then we would decidely have fighting and I certainly did not wish my dogs to be injured.


I believe that they appreciated the reasonable nature of my reply.


 13th September


Mr Stevenson (arbiter of taste), Mr Fisher (part man, part rabbit) and Mr Jickling (tutor to Mr Fisher's litter) came to see me with a proposal for a Public Library in the new Colony, "for the improvement of the people."


I expressed my self of the opinion  that if the company aboard the Buffalo is a fair sample then the people could do with some improvement, but it will take a damned sight more than a few three volume novels in a Library to do it.


Well, good luck to them and no doubt they will stick to the idea like dogs with a bone.


No comments:

Post a Comment