Monday 19 June 2017

Sunday, 3rd December 1837

Well I can only imagine that I am in for a farago of tall tales and true in the next few weeks.

Young Bingham Hutchinson, having conquered Mount Lofty, has set his sights on new challenges and greener pastures. Gathering together Bewes Strangways and John Morphett he has set off to explore Encounter Bay and ascertain the truth or otherwise of Whaler Walker's claims regarding a great harbour at the true mouth of the River Murray.

Of course he's been putting it about the town that who knows what wonders he might find whilst exploring and that his life will inevitably be in danger in the unknown terrors to be found in the wild desolation of the Fleurieu Peninsula. 

The result was that when the party left town a sizable crowd assembled to wave them off. Not, I think, because they were well wishers, but because the people had heard more than enough of Hutchinson's braggadocio and wanted to see that the blowhard really was leaving so that they could get a month or two of peace and quiet. It is true what they say - if you give the people what they want then they'll come out for it.

Leaving town seems to be all the rage at the moment. First Jeffcott, then our intrepid explorers and I have also been told that no less than Mann and Fisher have taken passage to Van Dieman's Land. Surely they cannot be subject to the siren song of Miss Kermode as well? Good God! What charms this woman must have!

In fact Fisher and Mann heading for Hobart is shrouded in mystery and the purposed is not to be spoken of! I suspect they too are off to consult the sharp legal minds of the Hobart Judiciary in order either to learn about the laws of the High Seas or to gain legal ammunition that they may fire against no less than yours truly.

Well, whilst the rat is away the cat may play and with Fisher out of the colony and Strangways risking life and limb in the wilds of Encounter Bay the Council will consist solely of Trickling Jickling and myself. So at last I might have the authority I was promised back in England with no interference from the damned South Australia Company. I have a list of reforms that might be carried out while I have the chance.

The God awful Menge has turned up again. It seems that he disappeared some time ago in order to travel north and has now returned with stories of lush, fertile valleys which could prove to be the food basket of the colony and extensive plains that could grow all the wheat we might need. I made the mistake of asking to see any maps he might have made of his travels. He became most offended and declared "I keep no maps save those in my head!" which is all well and good, but damn all use to anyone.

One of the Marines approached me during the week (despite my repeated instructions not to do that) and asked to speak to me "on a matter of some delicacy". He asked if it were possible for me to keep my sister Anne away from the Marine's camp as, he said, "her attentions are tiring out the lads." I have to admit, I did not quite understand what he meant, as I understood my sister to be spending time lending a helping hand, sewing on a button or cooking a pot of soup.  

This Marine - James Fish by name - explained that at first the men had welcomed my sisters ministrations as "they were always up for a bit of fun", but they had realised that they were "not able to keep up with her" particularly when she came down to see them in "the small hours".

Well, this is just typical of the Marines. My sister puts herself out to provide them with a few small comforts and the touch of a woman's hand on their affairs and their response is to say that they find it all a bit tiring. I imagine that Anne did indeed provide them with a "bit of fun". Her singing voice is delightful and she is quite talented on the guitar. 

I am disappointed at the ingratitude of the Marines and shall certainly say nothing to my sister for fear of hurting her feelings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment